FIVA Preservation Awards

    Recognition for Historic Vehicles.

    FIVA‘s Preservation Awards


    It is very rare indeed to see a historic car, or bike for that matter, in its original configuration. As it left the factory in other words. Such a find not only time warps us back to the way things really were, it is also a testament to the care and respect its keepers have shown for it over the years. It is a privilege to see chrome plating of a quality we can only dream of today, to sample leather of a kind no longer available and to admire the attention to detail unimaginable in the time-pressured world we now live in.

    It is to honour and record these original icons our motoring past that FIVA have created the Preservation Award to be given at select events around the world. Each of the brass plaques, weighing 1.2kg, will be individually numbered and registered, inextricably linking it to the vehicle and its current keeper.

    1928 1 LANCIA LAMBDA SERIE VIII
    • V4 Engine, 2569cc, 69 hp at 3500 rpm
    • Coachwork: Four-SeaterTorpedo, Lancia
    • Entrant: Anthony MacLean (Switzerland)

    Compared with the technical benchmarks of its era, the Lancia Lambda presented in 1922 was one of the most advanced automobiles of all times. There is simply no room to enu­merate all its innovations here. Let’s just say that the Lambda had the first unitary body ever built and defined the layout that only became established gradually as the standard three decades later.

    Around 11 000 units were created up to 1931 in nine model series. This car is one of six that Lancia prepared as works cars for entry in the Mille Miglia in 1928 – and probably the only one that survives to this day. Three years after the murderous competition it came into the hands of a British owner. He kept the Torpedo for more than 40 years, using it as a tourer between England and Switzerland up until 1939. His travels put nearly 300 000 kilometers on the clock.

    When this 91-year-old Lancia paraded at the Concorso d’Eleganza it just completed the 2019 Mille Miglia!

    Wanderer 4PS Heeresmodell

    In 1886, the name Wanderer first appeared on the bicycles of the company “Chemnitzer Velociped-Depot Winklhofer & Jaenicke”. 1902 – it had meanwhile moved to Schönau near Chemnitz – created the first motorcycles with a single cylinder of 215 cc from their own development. From 1905 V2 models were built.

    • Brand: Wanderer
    • Model: 4PS Heeresmodell
    • Engine: V-twin, 500cc
    • Drive: Belt
    • Gears: 2 in the rear wheel
    • Brakes: dual brakes on the rear wheel only
    • Owner: Hans-Dieter Springer
    1913 SCAT 25/35 H

    • 2018 Villa d’Este
    • 1913 SCAT 25/35 HP
    • Owner: Corrado Lopresto
    Alvis TF21 Graber Super from 1966

    The 24th edition of the Pays de Fougères international rally on 25-28 May 2018 brought together 180 crews from a dozen-odd European countries, as well as an entrant all the way from Thailand. For the first time, the rally was chosen by FIVA (the Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens or international federation of historic vehicles) as one of the 10 venues where a FIVA Best Preserved Vehicle award is presented.

    At the rally, Englishman Paul Chasney scooped the FIVA Best Preserved Vehicle award with his remarkable Alvis TF21 Graber Super from 1966, one of the last six bodies made by the famous Swiss coachbuilder Herman Graber. However, the judges (veteran FIVA steward Rainer Hindrischedt and FIVA VP Communications Gautam Sen) were hard-pushed to choose between the Alvis and the superb 1959 Lancia Flaminia saloon of Claude-Michel Perseil, which was the close runner-up.

    The annual Pays de Fougères rally, organised every May by the Automobile and Heritage Association of the Pays de Fougères, was – from the start – one of the first events to combine beautiful automobiles of the past with the (often lesser-known) architectural and gastronomic heritage of northwest France. It has always been less about discussing nuts and bolts and valves than discovering the many facets of a rich heritage, both mobile and immobile.

    Above all, perhaps, it’s a chance to introduce the general public to the intriguing world of historic vehicles, as the cars are exhibited at locations accessible to the public during the three days of the event – this year at Dinard, Granville and Fougères. Meanwhile, the Sunday afternoon of the rally sees each vehicle presented to the public with a detailed but lighthearted account of its history. Free-of-charge to visitors, the aim is to tell the story of each car, reviving happy memories and, it’s hoped, awakening the interest of the younger generation in our industrial heritage, in the aesthetics of car design, and in the people and human activities behind it all.

    This annual rally always manages to bring together cars that are rarely seen elsewhere. Rare and exclusive marques such as Marauder, Swallow Doretti, HRG, CG and Darracq joined the traditional luxury brands of Bentley, Delage, Delahaye and Rolls-Royce, not to mention thrilling sportscars from Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Bugatti and even a Ford GT40, to excite onlookers.

    Next year’s Pays de Fougères international rally will again be held in the Fougères region, from 17-20 May 2019.

    During the Villa d’Este concours dÉlegance the FIVA Best Preserved Vehicle Award was presented to Marco Gastaldi. Marco Gastaldi’s 1927 Hispano-Suiza T49 Weymann Sport Saloon by H. J. Muliner won this award. It was in remarkable shape considering it has been on the road for 90 years.


    Download the complete description of this vehicle as recorded by Mr. Gastaldi here: Hispano-Suiza-T49

    1929 NSU 201T

    This FIVA Best Preserved Vehicle Award was presented during the Ibberbürner Veteranen Motorcycle Event on June the 4st 2017.  The event showed many different unrestored motorcycles making judging difficult but the completeness of this NSU was the key point for the 5-headed jury.

    Technical details:

    • Frame Number: 831607
    • Displacement: 199 cm³ (56,5 x 80 mm)
    • Horsepower: 4,5 PS
    • Type: Single cylinder 4-stroke
    • Engine Number : 125576
    • Ignition: Bosch Magnet Typ FC1A / RS10
    • Carburetor: Amac – Typ 30 PJH
    • Chain driven
    • Gears: 3-gears monoblock
    • Wheels fort and rear: the optional NSU 2,5 x 19“ version
    • Tyres: Steel reinforced Metzeler Block C 3.25-19 TT 54P
    • Lights: Front Bosch ES 150 – Rear: Bosch, both through a dry battery
    • Weight: 100 kg
    • Seats: 2
    • Maximum speed: 65 km/h

    Owner:

    • Holger Rasch, Germany
    • Date of birth: 21.08.1965
    1929 Packard 645 Deluxe Eight Dietrich Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
    • Vehicle Number: 174323
    • Steering: 174395
    • Frame number: 174094
    • Engine Number: 174461A
    • Colour: Green
    • Interieur: Green leather
    • Body by the much famous Dietrich coachbuilder
    • Original and well-maintained condition
    • Largest available engine, the legendary Packard 385 cubic inch Super Eight
    • Many of the original tools still available such as the original tool-set, Carjack, snow chains, original side covers, 2 Tonneau-covers and original Top-Boot-cover

    Full description here

    1939 Bugatti 57C
    • 1939 Bugatti 57C Van Vooren Atalante S/N 57835
    • Current owner Arturo Keller, Petaluma, California.
    • Award presented by FIVA senior vice president Mario Theissen at Chantilly Arts & Elegance on 6 September 2015.

    This amazing car is totally original condition and has covered fewer than 15.000 kms. Coach built by Van Vooren to drawings by its first owner Fernand Chaussivert who kept it until his death in 1955 upon which a relative, Raymond Del Monte inherited the car. Del Monte who did not have a driver’s license and stored the car at his house in the south of France, always taking meticulous care of it, until 1991 when it was bought by a collector.

    A true tribute to its creators and its owners this Bugatti justly deserves FIVA’s first preservation award.

    1930 CORD L-29

    as first action under UNESCO patronage of FIVA World Motoring Heritage Year

    FIVA’s latest initiative to mark World Motoring Heritage Year 2016 is the presentation of a series of awards for Best Preserved Vehicle at top concours events around the world – followed by an end-of-year invitation for the award-winning cars to assemble in Paris, where they will be put on display at UNESCO’s international headquarters in the heart of the French Capital.

    FIVA (the Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens or international federation of historic vehicles) established the awards to recognise vehicles that retain such a high degree of their original components, materials and finishes that they can be seen as important cultural artefacts.

    The first award for 2016 was presented at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance (10-12 March), to the highly deserving c.1930 Cord L-29 (s/n 2926823) with custom body by the Walter M. Murphy Company, owned by Dan Davis of Jacksonville, Florida.

    When presenting the award, Mark Gessler, Vice President of FIVA and President of HVA (the representative for FIVA in the United States and Canada), commented, “It is fitting that the recognition of this wonderfully preserved Cord L-29 follows immediately on from the news that UNESCO has granted its official patronage to FIVA’s World Motoring Heritage Year 2016. Over the last seven years, the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance has worked with FIVA and the Historic Vehicle Association to help ensure that stewardship of unrestored vehicles is widely celebrated and strongly encouraged.”

    The Cord L-29 built by the E. L. Cord Company of Auburn, Indiana, was arguably the first practical production car to feature front-wheel drive and was considered one of the most elegant designs of the period. About 5,000 Cord L-29 models were produced between 1929 and 1931 in saloon, brougham, convertible coupé and convertible saloon body styles. This particular example (s/n 2926823) is one of just several Cord L-29 chassis that were sent to the Walter M. Murphy Company in Pasadena, Calif. for custom coachwork. It is the only known example of the Murphy town car body style built on the Cord L-29 ‘standard’ 137½-inch wheelbase chassis.

    In the early 1950s, this particular Cord L-29 was reputedly owned by E.L. Cord’s daughter, before being sold to Fred Thorenson. Jay Hyde purchased the car from Thorensen in 1959 and maintained it in original condition until his passing in 2014. Dan Davis purchased the car at Bonhams’ Amelia Island auction in 2015. Overall, the vehicle is exceedingly well preserved for its age and among the most well-preserved automobiles from the era. The exterior, interior, engine and other mechanical components are original to the vehicle, showing the careful stewardship of its owners.

    “I am honoured the Cord L-29 Murphy Town Car has received this special preservation award during FIVA’s World Motoring Heritage Year,” said Dan Davis, owner. “This is a unique car and it deserves to be recognised as an important cultural icon for future generations to enjoy.”

    “My father, Jay Hyde, owned this car for over 50 years,” added Kimberly Thompson, Hyde’s daughter. “Growing up, the Cord was always considered to be one of the family. We cherished our time with the car and always knew it was something special.”

    Circa 1930 Cord Front-Wheel Drive (L-29) Custom Town Car*

    • Chassis no.: 2926823
    • Model: SD (standard wheelbase = 137½ inches)
    • Engine: Lycoming in-line 8-cylinder L-head
    • Displacement: 298.6 c.i.
    • Maximum hp: 125
    • Engine no.: FD 2410
    • Transmission: 3-speed manual
    • Brakes: 4-wheel hydraulic drum
    • Coachwork: Walter M. Murphy Co. (Pasadena, California); one of four built

    * precise completion date not known

    1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ
    • Award presented at Villa D’Este 2016
    • The car: 1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ
    • Owner: Corrado Lopesto

    The history of the car is unique, being the prototype SZ on which Ercole Spada and Elio Zagato personally worked in 1961, testing various shapes including the one shown at present on the Milano-Brescia Autostrada. The idea was to design a new shape to make the car faster since it had a hard time keeping up with the Lotus cars at the time. During the Villa D’Este show the designer Ercole Spada was present as well.

    The Alfa Romeo of Mr. Corrado Lopresto has been selected to recognize a very innovative attempt to have one side of the car left absolutely original, “a is”, after many years of storage and the other side PRESERVED or conserved, working on it with sophisticated techniques to clean / fix / “rejuvenate” the original paint and metal. We had so far we have seen a few cars with one side “before” (untouched original) and the other restored, but never one side untouched and the other preserved.


    According to the selection team from UNESCO and FIVA that presented the Preservation Award, is a unique combination sending out the right message: not only originality / authenticity (culture) but also trade & skills, science and education. After all, UNESCO stands for for United Nations for Education, Science and Culture Organization and all these features where demonstrated in this vehicle.

    1966 Le Mans CD Peugeot

    On July 10th, at Le Mans Classic Heritage Concours, a jury of four FIVA officials presented the FIVA Preservation Award to the 1966 CD Peugeot which raced at Le Mans 24 Hours in that year, driven by Alain Bertaut and Pierre Lelong. The car retired during the 6th hour, with clutch problems.Designed by famous engineers Charles Deutsch and Lucien Romani, the car was a remarkable testbed for aerodynamics and came with various designs, including the long tail with huge spoilers shown at Le Mans Concours. Since that time, it has been remarkably preserved by l’Aventure Peugeot Citroën DS, the organisation in charge of the constructor’s heritage.

    A booklet on this remarkable car here

    History of the 1968 Porsche 911 SWB

    The car was built by Karmann in 1968 as one of 742 vehicles for the US market and shipped to Culver City/California on 18 March 1968. It was sandy beige and came with an export bumper and tinted windows as extras. The air condition was installed by the importer before delivery to the customer.

    The car’s first owner (1968-1988) was John Samson, a space engineer at Howard Hughes Aviation. Being a member of a carpool club, he rarely drove the Porsche, though. He sold the car to Porsche 356 Registry club member Olaf Shipstead(1988-2001) in Santa Monica/California, who invested large sums in the 911 during his 13-year ownership. For instance, at approx. 70,000 miles, the engine was rebuilt and the worn engine block replaced by a 1968 Sportomatic engine identical in construction. In 1994, he scored the class win at the Porsche Club of America Concours d’Elegance. The car survived a powerful earthquake that same year, while parked in a garage. However, some garden chairs fell onto the car’s nose. All but one of the dents were removed (the one on the right mudguard was preserved as a memento).

    In 2001Shipstead sold the Porsche to friend and fellow Porsche 356 Registry club member Glenn Lewis(2001-2004). He replaced the original chrome wheels with Fuchs wheels. In 2004, he sold the car to Porsche 356 Registry and PCA member Allen Henderson, who promised to keep it. However, he sold the vehicle to Galen Buisson (2004-2006) from Texas later that year, who had a small patch of rust near the driver-side door repaired at Porsche expert John Willhoit’s workshop. Moreover, he had the air condition overhauled and the lacquer polished. The vehicle garnered the class win at the 2004 VENTURA German Autofest in California.

    In 2006John Willhoit Restauration sold the car on Buisson’s behalf to a Porsche workshop they were friendly with in England (PR Services/Essex), which imported the vehicle to England and then sold it to Richard Sellers from Rutland/England in 2007.

    1. Sellers (2007-2012) had the front axle supports renewed at Terry Allen’sspecialist workshop (photographic evidence). He also mounted original 1968 steel wheels back on.
    2. Sellers contacted all previous owners still alive and some of the workshops by mail or e-mail to obtain details, photos or anecdotes. For the car’s 40th birthday, he travelled from England to Zuffenhausen/Germany, where Porsche welcomed him and took photos on the factory premises. He published articles about his trip and his vehicle in various British magazines (Porschepost, Carrera, Classiccars, Porsche Panorama, Car Magazine).

    In 2008Stirling Moss drove the Porsche with Sellers at the Goodwood Circuit, and Richard Attwood sat behind its wheel during a driver’s training at the Porsche Silverstone Driving Centre. Both drivers signed their names in the car’s door pillar. Nick Fauve, who piloted the Porsche 911T at the 1968/69 British Touring Car Championship, also signed the car after driving it.

    Markus Haub bought the 911 in April 2012, transferred it to Germany and had it registered with an H licence plate. He also re-mounted the original (included) US headlamps. In 2012, the coveted FIVA Identity Card (Class A2) was issued for the car whose current total mileage is approx. 180,000km. 2013 saw Haub meet with the owner of the model produced directly after his car, bearing the next higher serial number. For the first time in 45 years, both vehicles stood side by side again. The story was published in the Motor 77 and werk1 magazines.

    1928 Bugatti Type 35B

    Chantilly, FRANCE (September 08, 2016) – The 1928 Bugatti Type 35B (s/n 4914) that won the very first Monaco Grand Prix has been awarded a preservation trophy by the Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens (FIVA), at the Chantilly Arts & Elegance Richard Mille event on Sunday 4th September.

    The FIVA preservation award recognises vehicles that retain much of their original components, materials and finishes and as such are important cultural artefacts. The 2016 awards are part of the FIVA World Motoring Heritage Year celebration under the patronage of UNESCO. Mr Patrick Rollet, President of FIVA, presented the award with Khalil Karam, the UNESCO Ambassador for Lebanon, and Laurent Stefanini, the UNESCO Ambassador for France.

    This Bugatti Type 35B Grand Prix race car was constructed in Molsheim, France, in February 1928, and driven to victory by William Charles Frederick Grover-Williams (known as ‘Williams’) in the inaugural Monaco Grand Prix on 14 April 1929. During the 1928 and 1929 seasons, racing greats Louis Chiron, Robert Benoist and René Dreyfus also drove the car – to four other Grand Prix podium finishes. By 1931, the car had retired from racing, and was subsequently used as a road car. In 1954, s/n 4914 was bought at auction by Edmond Escudier, who owned the car until 2005, when it was sold to the present owners.

    Among the most well-preserved Grand Prix cars of the period, the Bugatti retains its first paint buried under the layers of colours it displayed during its active years of racing. Chips of the paint were subjected to a sophisticated analysis by experts at Glasurit to document the colour of each layer of paint, while almost all the engine and mechanical components are those originally fitted to the vehicle. Amazingly, the leather straps on the bonnet and seats are all believed to be original – as are the Bugatti alloy wheels.

    Commented FIVA President Patrick Rollet, “This Bugatti Type 35B is an exceptionally well-preserved example that still bears the original craftsmanship of the Bugatti factory at Molsheim. We are honoured to have UNESCO Ambassador Khalil Karam from Lebanon and UNESCO Ambassador Laurent Stefanini from France join us for the presentation of this FIVA World Motoring Heritage Year preservation award. Meanwhile, the owners are to be congratulated on their stewardship – and for sharing this wonderful automotive artefact with the general public.”

    The FIVA preservation award jury for the 2016 Chantilly Arts & Elegance Richard Mille comprised FIVA Executive Vice President and ADAC Advisor, Dr Mario Thiessen; FIVA Vice President and President of the Historic Vehicle Association, Mark Gessler; and FIVA Ambassadors for the Middle East and South America, Rony Karam and Alec Daly.

    1952 FERRARI 195 INTER

    …scooping FIVA’s final preservation award of 2016

    Autoclásica 2016, held in Argentina from 7-10 October, was the venue for the presentation of FIVA’s final preservation award before the year’s award-winning cars are invited to assemble in Paris for a celebration of World Motoring Heritage Year. The celebration, ‘Paris Week’, is organised by FIVA and runs from 16th to 20th November 2016.

    World Motoring Heritage Year enjoys the formal patronage of UNESCO and the FIVA preservation awards recognise vehicles that are important cultural artefacts – retaining much of their original components, materials and finishes. Since Argentina’s Autoclásica, organised by the Club de Automóviles Clásicos (CAC) in Buenos Aires, is said to be the number one classic and historic vehicle concours in South America, the team of judges had a tough challenge in picking just one winner.

    Honoured by the presence of UNESCO’s Regional Director, Lidia Brito, and the Cultural Representative for Argentina, Gloria Silva, the judging team led by FIVA President Patrick Rollet finally selected the Ferrari 195 Inter, s/n 181 EC.

    This remarkable Ferrari, first registered in 1952, features a Vignale body and is powered by the 2,341cc Colombo-designed V12 engine with a 5-speed gearbox. Its first owner was the renowned Italian actress Anna Magnani, who enjoyed the Ferrari for some six years. After a further short period in Europe, the car was shipped to the USA in 1959 to become part of the William F Harrah Collection in Reno, Nevada. It was 36 years later that the car was purchased by its current owner, Daniel Sielecki, who ran it in the 1996 Mille Miglia and subsequently preserved the car’s original condition in Argentina, where he shares it with local enthusiasts at such key events as Autoclásica.

    Commented FIVA President Patrick Rollet, “October’s Autoclásica in Argentina was the final event of 2016 at which FIVA will present a preservation award, and choosing the winner from a selection of such beautifully preserved, important motor cars was hugely enjoyable – but not easy.”

    In February 2017, the FIVA team will resume its judging duties at the Cartier Travel & Style Concours d’Elégance in India.

    1921 Maharaja Rolls-Royce

    FIVA selected the Hyderabad Cartier Concours to be the last of the eight venues for the presentation of its UNESCO-patroned World Motor Heritage Year preservation programme. The preservation class jury comprised Patrick Rollet, President of FIVA, Mr Nitin Dossa, President of the VCCCI and Dr Ravi Prakash, General Secretary of KVCC (both the VCCCI and KVCC are vintage and classic car clubs from the Indian subcontinent – and FIVA members).

    The award eventually went to the incredibly well-preserved Rolls-Royce 40/50 Silver Ghost delivered new in 1921 to the Maharaja of Wankaner. The car, originally a tourer by Maythorn of London, was rebodied in 1935 by James & Co. of Bombay into a more contemporary automobile. In Hyderabad, the Rolls-Royce with its untouched mechanical components was accompanied by substantial documentation. Today, this unique automobile is still in the possession of the descendants of the former Wankaner Royal family.

    Mr and Mrs Yuvrav Kesri Sinhji of Wankaner, both heavily involved in the painstaking preservation of this magnificent motor car, took delivery of the FIVA-UNESCO numbered and engraved cast aluminium plaque. As Patrick Rollet, President of FIVA, concludes, “This extremely stylish concours in a stunning setting was the perfect end to the highly successful 2016 World Motoring Heritage programme, which FIVA has decided to renew for 2017 and beyond.”

    Awards received by FIVA


    17 june 2017, Residenzschloss Ludwigsburg

    The RetroClassicCultur e.v. is honored to give the National and International RCC Awards for Special Merit for the Preservation and Public Perception of Historic Vehicles to the Fahrzeugakadernie Schweinfurt and to the Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens.

    Back to top

    ClassicPart4You.com and FIVA have a great offer for you!A low-cost subscription helping you to find
    all the parts you have been looking for!

    X